Jam Filled Thumbprint Cookies
I just had to try this thumbprint cookie recipe after it was given to me by Marla Celeri! Marla and I met about 2 years ago when I was teaching live Zoom baking classes. I don’t think she missed one class! Over time, we hit it off and became friends.
Marla has recently started her cottage baking business. You can find her at Nonni’s Sweet Treats Ohio
- 1/2 cup 1 stick butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg separated
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- Jam or preserves strawberry, apricot, or blackberry
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cream together the butter and brown sugar. Add egg yolk and mix well. Add flour and stir to combine. (Or as mom did, put everything into the bowl and mix)
- In a small bowl, beat the egg white until frothy.
- Put chopped nuts in a separate small bowl.
- Roll tablespoon-size pieces of dough in egg white, then nuts. (Roll the balls smoothly without lines in balls. Those lines can become cracks.)
- Place on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Find the littlest kids in the house and have them put their thumbs in to make the hole. Then fill just to the top with a bit of jam. Bake until bottoms are browned. Bring them out and let them cool on the sheet. If you try to move them earlier, they will fall apart. You can freeze these a month or 2 ahead of time. Just wrap really well.
- (Kids in my house when I was little, may or may not had been known to steal frozen ones in the middle of the night, so always bake extra!)
Notes: I used salted butter at room temperature and packed in the brown sugar. I used 3/4 cup of chopped walnuts and it was just enough. My choices for jam were strawberry and orange marmalade. I lined my cookie sheets with parchment paper. To make the thumbprint, I used the back of a 1/2 teaspoon measuring spoon.In my oven, bake time was 9 minutes.
This recipe made 22 cookies.
Do you love cookies? Check out this recipe for Hot Cocoa Cookies
If you would like to save a few dollars on your baking ingredients, check to see if there is an Aldi grocery store near you!