Key Lime Pie Recipe
It had been years since I had a slice of key lime pie, until…
We went out for Father’s Day dinner and my mother in law announced it was her favorite and she ordered a slice for dessert. I tasted a bite and decided it had been too long since I enjoyed the tart, sweet flavor of a key lime pie.
Fast forward to July fourth weekend when my in laws invited us over for a cookout. I decided to surprise my mother in law with her favorite dessert. Here is my recipe for a delicious key lime pie:
- 1/3 cup butter salted and melted
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 ¼ cup graham crumbs I prefer making my own from graham crackers
- 4 egg yolks large eggs
- 1 can 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- ½ cup key lime juice fresh or bottled
- 1 cup whipping cream
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ½ tsp key lie juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare crust:
- Add graham crumbs into a large bowl.
- Add sugar and butter.
- Stir until well combined.
- Press into the bottom of a glass pie plate.
- Bake for 7 minutes.
- Prepare filling:
- Beat egg yolks until they are thick in texture and have turned light yellow in color.
- Slowly add sweetened condensed milk while mixing on low speed.
- Add key lime juice and mix until well blended.
- Pour filling into prepared crust.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Prepare topping:
- Add whipping cream into mixer and mix on medium/high until peeks form.
- Add sugar and juice and mix until blended.
- Spread over pie.
Tips: Use a larger spoon or bottom of a glass or measuring cup to press crust into pie plate.
Use wire whisk attachment for mixer for this recipe.
To make your own graham crumbs, just add whole graham crackers into a food processor and pulse until crumbs form. If you do not have a food processor, use a gallon sized zip top bag and rolling pin to roll your crackers into crumbs.