Homemade Apple Crisp Recipe
Nothing screams the Holidays like apples and cinnamon. Add them both to a delicious crisp and you are all set!What I love the most about this recipe are the homemade apples. Not only do they taste delish, they fill your house with a warm aroma as they are cooking on the stove. This apple crisp recipe tastes great warm or cold! Yes, I said cold. I eat it right out of the fridge.
- 6 medium apples peeled and chunked
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup
- 4 tablespoons light brown sugar packed
- 2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons water
- 1/2 box yellow cake mix
- 1 stick butter salted
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Cooking spray
- Peel and dice the apples into small pieces (about the size of a dime) and squeeze a lemon over top.
- Stir to combine.
- In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients and then toss together with the apples until fully coated.
- Pour the maple syrup over top and gently stir.
- Heat apples on the stove over medium heat for 15-20 minutes until soft. Stir occasionally.
- You want the apples to be soft.
- If the apples are sticking to the pan add 1-2 tablespoons of water to the saucepan as needed.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray 8×8 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Fill dish with apple crisp filling.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Sprinkle 1/2 of the cake mix over the filling.
- Slice cold butter into slices and neatly cover cake mix.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until lightly browned and bubbly.
Add a scoop of your favorite ice cream over the top of hot apple crisp!